Wednesday 26 June 2013

Man of Steel Son of God?

26th June 2013

Just back from seeing the new Superman film "Man of Steel". It was alright but it went on a bit. However, I was struck by some of the Christian symbolism in it. I don't want to say too much in case you've not seen it and want to go. But it certainly has messages that would prove useful discussion starters for a youth group say.

I'm not claiming that this is my original thought. I heard a theology lecturer make the same point on BBC Radio 4 last week and a quick trawl on the net will find plenty of people saying the same thing for example http://caffeinatedthoughts.com/2013/06/man-of-steel-chock-full-of-christian-dog-whistles/

(Just a comment to the film makers. I'm pretty sure it is standard operating procedure for air dispatchers, in the back of large transport planes, to be fitted with a tethered safety line. If this had happened Lois Lane wouldn't have fallen out)

Today has been a bit quieter. I had a staff meeting with the various ministers at the church today. That was interesting and fun. I'm going to enjoy working with them over the next few weeks. Got into an interesting discussion with the Music Director and Worship Leader about contemporary worship music in Britain. I'm not a great authority but mentioned Stuart Townend (especially the most recent album "The Journey") Also St Graham of Kendrick and Lou Fellingham / Phatfish. (They had heard of Matt Redman.)

But the most important thing achieved today was the purchase of a big mug for my morning cuppa. There are only standard size mugs in the parsonage and a standard size mug of tea in the morning isn't good enough. I was trying to decide where I could find a pint sized mug when inspiration struck. I called into a service station of the kind used by truckers over here. From previous visits to the States I know that such places frequently sell very large insulated mugs for truckers. And I wasn't disappointed. So now I'm fully equipped in the breakfast stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment