Saturday 28 September 2013

By the left, quick march!

28th September 2013

One thing I’ve learned as a minister is that there is no set job description. The closest we get are the words said at ordination when we promise to serve the sacraments, be a pastor and preach the gospel.

I really appreciate not having something laid down as I’ve been given space in my ministry to be a minister in those situations God has called me to. Or to put it another way, I’ve walked through the doors God has opened before me.

So over the last 6 years I’ve been a school governor (and in fact am now Chair of Governors) and I’m a police chaplain. I regularly take assemblies in a number of primary schools. I’ve given talks to various clubs and societies. I’ve joined Rotary. I’ve spoken on local radio many times, been a contributor to a column in faith in the local paper (as well as having articles published in the Methodist Recorder.) All of these have allowed me to share the Gospel with people who don’t come to church.

Over the last couple of Saturdays my ministry has gone through another door God opened – being a mayor’s chaplain.

My dad has served as a local councillor for almost 30 years. Originally for Islwyn Borough Council and (following local government reorganisation in Wales) for Caerphilly County Borough Council. He was the last Mayor Islwyn BC before it was abolished and in May this year he was elected as Mayor of Caerphilly CBC.

It is traditional for the Mayor to have a chaplain who accompanies the Mayor at certain functions and, if the occasion calls for it, takes services and offers prayers. My Dad asked if I would be his chaplain and I was delighted to say yes.
Because of the distance between Swindon and Caerphilly (about 80 miles) it isn’t practical for me to attend many functions (and my Dad has one or two tame Methodist minister available if needs be in Wales.) But he has asked me to be at two functions and these have taken place over the last couple of Saturdays.

On Saturday 21st September a civic service was held. Again this is traditional and it is a way of the local government officials and councillors being publically prayed for. And, in the case of a devote Christian like my Dad, for the Mayor to publically proclaim his faith and to ask for God’s guidance in his work as mayor.

Last Saturday found me presiding at the service and leading public prayers for my Dad. We don’t go in for great shows of affection in the family let alone expressing words like “I love you” or “I’m proud of you” (no doubt a psychologist would enjoy analysing this.) So for him to ask me to lead the service and for me to pray for my Dad was a way of us both saying a great deal without needing to use embarrassing words!

Today I was able to perform another duty as chaplain. The Royal Welsh Regiment was given the freedom of the borough 3 years ago. And one of the things the Regiment can do is parade through the borough “With bayonets fixed and with drums beating” (in the words of the official statement of freedom.) Today that right was exercised through the town of Bargoed.

I found myself standing on a reviewing platform alongside the great and good of the borough together with the Lord Lieutenant of Gwent and the High Sheriff of Gwent. Both fascinating friendly men.
The Regimental band led the soldiers through the town until they came to the reviewing point. They were then inspected by the big wigs. I was then called to lead prayers.

I’d been given the regimental prayer. But I’d wanted another suitable prayer. I’d asked my friend Rev Steve Ward (a former solider and a chaplain to the Army Cadet Force) for some ideas and he suggested this:

A Prayer of St Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556)
Teach us, good Lord, to serve you as you deserve; to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labour and not to ask for any reward, save that of knowing that we do your will.


Spot on. Ideal for those serving in the military and for those called to serve in other ways – such as local councillors or mayors.

By the way – Dad, I’m very proud of you.

(There, I’ve said it. Mind you he doesn’t do computers so won’t read this!)

Photo credit: http://www.campaignseries.co.uk/news/10660388.Royal_Welsh_Bargoed_march_details_announced/

No comments:

Post a Comment