Thursday 12 March 2015

Where does the path lead?


Last weekend I went for a walk in the beautiful countryside near where we live. I was accompanied by my wife and a good friend of ours.

My wife had discovered the walk a few weeks ago and had said she’d like us to do it together as it was interesting and went through some lovely countryside. She wasn’t wrong.

She had found the walk in a book of walks we have and she had set out on her own one Saturday when I was busy elsewhere. The book comes with some detailed maps and all the paths are clearly marked so it wasn’t an issue but as we did the walk, with Anne leading the way, I realised something about going on walks. As much as I enjoy walks I begin to feel slightly uncomfortable if I don’t know where I am or don’t know where I am going.

Looking back I realise that I often have this feeling on a walk. I don’t why I should feel that way but I do. It’s not anything to do with not having the map or guide book, for Anne is a far better navigator than I am. I am always happy to let her lead the way. But I just have this slight unease if I am not sure of where we are going and where we are.

It is not as if I have ever got lost on a walk and that has left an effect. Maybe it is more about wanting to be in control and having unease when someone else is leading the way?

The irony is that like all Christians I am on a way of faith that does not come with a detailed map. Yes there are pointers, but for the most part I walk the way, only knowing in general terms where I am headed. But I am comfortable with this. It is only when out walking that I need a detailed map, a set of instructions and the assurance of knowing where I am at a given moment. Faith wise, I am happy to go with the flow.

One phrase that has been used since the time of Jesus to describe the journey of faith we are on is “the Way”. So much so, that the earliest Christians (living perhaps 30 or 40 years after Jesus) were known as “people of the Way.” It is not a description used very often now which I think is a shame for it is a good discretion of what it is like to live the Christian life I think.

A Bible passage that I often use when I conduct a funeral is from John chapter 14. 1 - 6

John 14:1-6New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

14 ‘Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.’
5 Thomas said to him, ‘Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?’

6 Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Thomas presumably would have been happier on his journey of faith if he had detailed instructions. But Jesus’ words are a reminder that faith doesn’t come with clear road map. All we have is the assurance of the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment