Tuesday 7 February 2017

Putting your body on the line

It is a time of the year I really enjoy, for last weekend the Six Nations rugby tournament started. If I can, I watch all the games but I make sure I never miss the games my beloved Wales play in. Now, I should say at the outset, that if you’re not a rugby follower you will need to bear with me for a while before I get to the point of this blog.

Last Sunday Wales played Italy. (Wales won the match 33 points to 7.) Much of the focus in the pre-match TV analysis was on a Welsh player called George North. North is loved by fans for his turn of speed and strength. However, there have been concerns expressed about his fitness. He has been susceptible to receiving knocks to his head and suffering from concussion as a consequence. The rugby union authorities now take this much more seriously than they once did. The punditry before the game was concerned with whether George North would soon have to give up playing rugby. (He is only 24 and made it clear in the interviews he had no intention of retiring, though he may not have much choice.)

Wales looked lacklustre in the first half of the game against Italy and in fact were trailing 7 – 3 at half time. However, in the second half they came alive and one of the highlights was a great try by George North who ran in from distance and at speed. However, it was clear that he was in pain. His thigh was heavily strapped and press reports afterwards said he had hurt his knee.

Chatting to a friend on social media afterwards I made the comment that George had put his body on the line for the Welsh victory. Despite all the talk about his future being in doubt if he got another head injury, George North knew he had one job to do when he was given the ball – score a try for Wales no matter what the personal cost to him.

In another bit of TV punditry before the game, former Wales player Shane Williams was asked about what the Six Nations means to Welsh fans. Williams commented that although a cliché, rugby is like a religion to Welsh people. I recalled this comment after the game in the light of the thought about George North putting his body on the line.

One of the central tenets of the Christian faith is that Jesus Christ allowed himself to be executed on the cross. He put his body on the line taking the sin of the world upon himself. He died so that we might be forgiven. He died so that those who believe in him may have eternal life for in his death and resurrection he conquered death once and for all.

John 15:13 New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

But Jesus also made it clear to his followers that we might have to put our bodies on the line for him too:

Mark 8:34 New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

Thankfully very few Christians have to die for their faith – although from the start this did happen and is still happening today in some parts of the world. But even if we don’t die for our faith we must remember there is an element of sacrifice to it.

One thing I am wrestling with myself at present is what my future ministry will be like. Will I be fit and able to go back into full time Christian ministry? Or will I never regain fitness so that I have to leave ministry? I don’t know. Though I sense God is telling me ministry will be different in future. My illness will reshape my ministry. Though what that ministry will be like I don’t know.

But I do know that in some way I will have to put my body on the line to serve my Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment