Thursday 1 September 2022

Wishing you a Super New Year

 


It is the 1st of September 2022 and the start of a new Methodist year. (Our church year in terms of administration and taking up appointments as ministers runs 1st September to 31st August.) And as from today I become the Superintendent Minister for the North Wiltshire Circuit.

If you’re not a Methodist (or even if you are and don’t think about such things) what is a Superintendent Minister? Our Standing Orders say:

It is the duty of the Superintendent appointed to each circuit to enable the relevant courts, officers and ministers to fulfil their specific responsibilities under standing orders and to ensure that they do so. SO520(2)

That doesn’t say much. And it makes the role sound very dry. In reality the Superintendent (invariably referred to as “the Super”) is ultimately responsible for ensuring the local collection of Methodist Churches in an area (“the Circuit”) operate in accordance with our Methodist rules, as well as working with the other ministers in the Circuit.  And when I say the Churches, I mean the people who make up the churches. They are the most important thing.

But this blog isn’t about the whys and wherefores of Methodism. I just wanted to give a bit of an insight into the role.

Tomorrow evening, I will attend a service where I am officially welcomed by the churches in the Circuit as Superintendent. At the same service a new minister, in their first appointment, will also be welcomed in. For me the welcome service will of course mark a significant moment. But it will be relatively low key as I am in the slightly unusual position of taking over as Superintendent in a Circuit where I’ve served now since 2014. It doesn’t often happen that way.

For the last few months other ministers, and other Methodists, have been saying things along the lines of “Commiserations”Rather you than me” “Don’t think I’d want to be Super” or “Do you think you’ll enjoy it?” There seems to be an expectation that I’ll see superintendency as some kind of hair shirt or punishment whereas from my perspective yes, I am looking forward to it and I hope I will enjoy it. I feel I have the gifts and skills to fulfill the role. 

The date of the service was fixed months ago and I just thought it would be helpful to have the service on a Friday evening. It’s only in the last few weeks that I’ve realised the significance of the date for me.

On 2nd September 2016 (as I've written about elsewhere in this blog) I collapsed with an undiagnosed abdominal aortic aneurysm. This resulted in emergency surgery, three months in hospital and being off work for 18 months. At 7.30pm on 2nd September 2016 I was in surgery. (2nd September 2016 was also a Friday.)

For many months after coming from hospital I doubted I’d get back to active ministry let alone be asked to become Superintendent. I suppose prior to 2016 I was always ready to offer to be a Superintendent somewhere in the country. But the illness made me take stock and think I’d never be Super. However, I’m pleased that God has brought me through and clearly feels that I can serve him in this way.

Time will tell. Prayers appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Can't be there but have a special evening. Good blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, David.
    We're members of the same club as just over 22 years ago after some failed surgery, I asked my doc what was next. He said, "If there is anything you want to do...do it now."
    Good care, my wife, my lifestyle and foremost, my faith have kept me going.
    Having read your piece, you are made for these responsibilities. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations David, you will be an amazing super!

      Delete