Saturday 21 January 2012

Pawn challenges bishop?

According to news reports this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16669850 Ian Duncan Smith is criticising bishops who are opposing welfare reforms in the House of Lords.

He says:

"The question I'd ask these bishops is, over all these years, why have they sat back and watched people being placed in houses they cannot afford? It's not a kindness.

I would love them to ask about the poor people on low incomes who are working hard, whose families share rooms, who are doing the right thing”

He goes on:

"I would like to see their concerns about ordinary people, who are working hard, paying their tax and commuting long hours, who don't have as much money as they would otherwise because they're paying tax for all of this. Where is the bishops' concern for them?"


Mr Duncan Smith I'd like YOU and your millionaire colleagues to ask the likes of Vodafone, Sir Philip Green and mega rich bankers, what they have to say to the poorest in society and " ... the ordinary people who are working hard, paying their tax" what they are contributing to this society. And why they aren't paying their way.

I'm bishops, like all Christian leaders try to be concerned with justice and the values of the Kingdom for ALL in society. That means that the poorest are not disadvantaged. It also means that the richest are paying their taxes too.

I'm not sure how familiar Mr Duncan Smith is with Jesus' teachings. I think I vaguely remember him claiming to be a Christian during his brief time as opposition leader. If he is a Christian then he should be familiar with this passage from the Bible:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.”[a]


Luke 4:18 - 19

As someone who worked for a time before entering ministry as a manager of a benefit fraud investigation team, I am only too aware of that there are "scroungers" out there. But equally I am aware of those who are not on benefits out of choice but because of their health for example cannot do so.

I am pleased that the bishops and people of good conscience such as Dame Tammi Gray - Thompson are speaking out against this injustice. As is said in the Book of Proverbs, Christians and in particualr Christian leaders are to:

Proverbs 31:8-9

8 “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
9 Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy.”

2 comments:

  1. I trust you will send a copy of this to mr Duncan Smith. The time has come to insist that the tax dodgers at the top of the system are sorted out before worrying about those at the bottom.
    I have in mind someone close to me who was made redundant while on maternity leave when the company went bust. She has now managed to find a part time job where she earns £6 a week over and above her child are bill. Why? Because the job is way below her skill levels and she is hoping they will recognise that and promote her to better paid job. Ian Duncan Smith doesn't he's born!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do Charlotte. And ot Justin Tomlinson

    ReplyDelete