Sunday 6 September 2020

I am the Church, you are the Church, we are the Church together

 



Reflection Sunday 6th September 2020

Matthew 18: 15 - 20 

 

This Sunday, for the first time since 15th March, I will take a service in church. For the first time in almost 6 months I will lead Sunday worship in church. Because of Covid 19 restrictions numbers must be limited. It won’t be the same. But that is no bad thing. And in fact, is worship always “the same”?

For all of us these last 6 months have been strange. And I suspect for many of us nothing has been stranger than a Sunday. I know for the first couple of months I found Sundays really difficult. Having been out of active ministry for 18 months due to illness, I thought I’d adjust quite quickly to Sunday’s being different. But I suppose the difference this time is that whilst ill I was not “on duty” whereas throughout the lock down and beyond I have been in active ministry but it was the case of trying to decide what active ministry meant.

Active ministry is not just about Sunday of course. But as I have written previously, my week revolves around Sunday. Therefore, when Sunday was not as I know it, I had to find another way of it being Sunday.

I am sure many of you experienced similar feelings. That is why I suggested to you that you use the services I was sending out, at the usual time for church on a Sunday. And many of you have told me this is what you did and found it helpful.

One of the things all of us have missed during the lockdown, in general terms and in church terms, is the interaction with other people. Despite sending letters, despite phone calls, despite modern technology such as Skype or Zoom allowing us to see one another in person and talk, nothing beats meeting face to face.

Most human beings need that interaction with one another. Many of you know what it is like to be alone and you value being with others. Interaction with others is important for our wellbeing.

But interaction with others is important for our faith well being too.

The famous 19th century preacher Dwight L. Moody was visiting a prominent Chicago citizen when the idea of church membership and involvement came up. “I believe I can be just as good a Christian outside the church as I can be inside it,” the man said. Moody said nothing. Instead, he moved to the fireplace, blazing against the winter outside, removed one burning coal and placed it on the hearth. The two men sat together and watched the ember die out. “I see,” the other man said.

This age-old illustration serves well to prove the importance of interacting with other Christians.

Our Gospel reading today is an interesting and challenging one. It bears our full consideration sometime. It reminds us of how even in a church context people fall out. It reminds us how when this happens, we are to act with grace and seek reconciliation. It also discusses what should be done if reconciliation is not possible. However, that is for another day.

But I want to skip ahead to the last verse of the passage.

20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.’ Matthew 18:20

These words show the importance of gathering together. They are words Dwight Moody no doubt had in mind in his encouraging the businessman to be actively involved in a church. For where two or three (or more!) are gathered, Christ is at work. He is with us.

And where we are gathered the Holy Spirit has chance to fan the embers so that the individual coals burn brighter and warmer.

That is not to say that if we are on our own Jesus is not with us. Jesus told us

And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’ Matthew 28: 20

When we’ve worshipped on our own these last 6 months, or if you are still not at church for health reasons, Jesus is with us. But what Matthew 18:20 reminds us is that if we can, if it is safe to do so, we should, we must, gather together.

When Franklin Delano Roosevelt was President of the USA, he normally attended a particular Episcopal church in Washington. Of course, crowds of tourists and others came just to see the man. One Saturday the rector's phone rang, and a lady asked, "Do you expect the President to be in church tomorrow?" Promptly and thoughtfully, the rector replied, "This I cannot promise; but I can promise that God will be here, and this should be incentive for quite a large attendance."

The presence of God ought to be enough to bring almost anybody to church! And he is here, you know. Yes, I know the omnipresent God is everywhere. But when God’s people meet in the worship of him, somehow, he is uniquely there. “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.’

There seems to be a special kind of way in which God is present where his people meet. Or, it may be that when God's people gather, it is they who are present in a special kind of way. Or, it may be both of those. Anyway, when God's people meet in the name of Christ, it is a special kind of meeting between them and God.

So it is, between ourselves and our Lord today. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely, well said, David, as ever. As of today, we are having 9.30in church, sign up, face covering etc, most of that recorded for Youtube, and then the Zoom 10.30 as usual. I am leading in a few weeks time. Church of Scotland rules are much more prescriptive, including no responses. The next few weeks will be interesting how worship develops in “ the church.

    ReplyDelete