Wednesday 24 July 2013

A greyhound that needs putting to sleep

Greyhound


Back home in a record case in the loft I have Simon & Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits on vinyl. I bought it when I was about 16 years of age after being at a party in which a friend played the album on cassette alight long. I remember being captivated by the songs. But one in particular was amazing – America – telling as it does of a romantic bus journey across the USA. It was always something I fancied doing.

Well I’ve not done this but my dream must have been passed on through my genes to Tom, as he announced he’d like to catch a Greyhound from North Carolina to somewhere else and he settled on Nashville.

So yesterday I attempted to book a Greyhound bus trip for him. He’d done some research and found that by buying a ticket on line there was a saving of over $50. So I went on the Greyhound website. This showed the journey he wanted to make from Hickory NC to Nashville. It also clearly showed a web price that was cheaper than the standard price. ($166 as opposed to $196. There had been a cheaper Advance price but this was no longer on display.)

However, for some reason the site wouldn’t let me finish the booking saying the fare was not available – even though the web site showed it as available.

So I phoned up. If all our call centres are now in India, Greyhound must have its in Mexico. No issue with this other than a Mexican trying to understand a Welsh accent and vice versa was always going to end in tears. Anyway, I explained the problem and the woman at the other end said she’d look in to it and put me on hold. After 10 minutes I heard nothing and it seemed as if I’d been cut off.

I managed to track down a number for the web site support and called them. After a lot of faffing around the man told me the fare was not available as they didn’t do internet fares from Hickory. Despite the web site saying they do.

Me: Why don’t you do web site tickets from Hickory if the web site says you do?

Him: We don’t do web site tickets on that “rout” sir

Me: Why then does your web site say that you do sell tickets on that “route” then?

Him: We don’t do web site tickets on that “rout” sir. You’d have to buy a ticket at $166 over the phone but I can’t do that sir.

(And he gave me another number to call.)

So I called the other number and, with Tom’s agreement, I attempted to buy a $166 ticket. But when the guy started taking the details and realised that I would be buying a ticket on behalf of Tom suddenly there was a $18 fee for this.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and spoke to John.

Him: (opening line) If you wish to complain you need to contact complaints on a different number

Me: Why do you charge a S18 fee for me buying a ticket for my son?

Him: I don’t set the policy sir you need to complain to our executives.

After all this nonsense I was relieved when Tom said he had changed his mind as he didn’t trust Greyhound. Wise move my son.

Greyhound should partner with Ryan Air back in the UK as Greyhound’s customer service is as bad as Ryan Air’s.

So the moral is don’t board the Greyhound in Pittsburgh or indeed anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment