Wednesday 31 July 2013

Trumped!

30th July 2013

First things first I decided to write a completely different sermon. I still drew on some of the things I’d seen in Ashville on the weekend but the end product was very different to that written yesterday.

Having started work on the sermon I got a phone call from a friend asking if I had time for 9 holes of golf on the Trump National Charlotte course in the afternoon. Taking a leaf out of my circuit superintendent’s book I said yes. I wasn’t going to miss that opportunity. And moreover my friend said he’d collect me in his replica convertible 1937 Jaguar SS100.

It was a perfect day for a drive in convertible and a perfect day for golf. Even though I say it myself I played pretty well. I definitely play golf best in the sunshine!


Since Donald Trump bought the course they have been doing some work on it mainly adding some longer tees and relaying the greens. Consequently the greens are all out of bounds at present. But it was fun playing what we were able to. In fact we played 10 the front 9 and the 18th.


A very nice course and a privilege to be able to play it.

In the evening the same friend and his wife invited us to dinner and we had a lovely meal on the veranda of the club house watching the sun go down on the lake and listening to the jungle - like sounds of the cicadas and frogs all around us.

The thing that is very different about having dinner here (whether at some one’s house or going out to dinner) is that people tend to dine earlier and the evening finished earlier as a consequence. For example, we met our friends at 6.30pm and by 9.30pm we were on our way home. It is different to us but on a school night it is good. (Maybe I’m just getting old.)

No comments:

Post a Comment