Saturday 6 July 2013

Suddenly - nothing happened!

6th July 2013

The day when nothing much happened partly due to a change of plans and partly because of the weather.

This evening we were supposed to be going to a great sounding place called “Sims Barbecue” which features, um, barbecue but also blue grass music and Appalachian clog dancing. Unfortunately it is closed this weekend. So the church outing has been cancelled for now.

Never fear, Tom and I came up with a cunning plan. We’d head to a Bird of Prey centre (the North Carolina Raptor Centre) near Huntersville. This morning was bright and sunny. Unfortunately one member of the household didn’t surface until around 11.30. No fear, the sun was still shining. So we stopped in the delightful town of Davidson for a sandwich and then headed off.

Just as we got to within a mile of the place the heavens opened. So we figured that as most if it would be outdoors we’d come home. Which we did. And now at almost 5pm the sun is shining. Still the Empire wasn’t built by suffering weather setbacks. We’ll try another day.

So what to blog? A few random things I suppose.

North Carolinans

We’ve visited the USA 4 or 5 times before. We’ve mainly been to the West Coast but we’ve also been to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio and Boston. Americans are always friendly but I have to say North Carolinans are in a different league. Sorry folks from other states but that’s the way it is.

I was expecting a warm welcome at the church and from church people. (Time will tell whether they feel the same after 6 weeks of my ramblings.) And we really have had a wonderful welcome from people in the church. But the same is true of all people we’ve encountered. Yesterday evening getting a Chinese take away (Take Out) the young guy serving us happily chatted away to us for ages. And this morning taking a walk round the block a police car drove past and the officer inside waved at me even though she was on the radio or her cell phone.

We were told by some visiting Rotarians from North Carolina in February that we’d get a warm welcome. They were right.

Begging

Something that is noticeable here and on previous visits to the USA is begging. Last Saturday in Charlotte we were accosted 2 or 3 times in the space of 400 yards. And yesterday in Greensboro we were accosted once.

I think the difference is that often in the UK the person begging is static i.e. sat on the ground maybe with a small sign. Whereas often here the person begging is walking around and comes right up to you.

My usual practise (whether in the UK or here) is to say “no thanks” or “sorry” but not give any money. (I’ve been told by different people from different agencies over the years never give money to beggars as it may go to fuel a drink or drug habit.) Back at home I assuage my guilt by giving money to charities that assist the homeless.

But I must admit that yesterday in Greensboro, whilst not feeling entirely intimidated, I did feel uneasy and gave the guy some loose change.

People beg in the UK too. But somehow not in such a blatant way. And the perception is that in the UK not as many people beg.
And I’m not making any judgement about the whys or wherefores. I’m just relating what I see.

But of course there is always that sense isn’t there of “passing by on the other side.” I should practice more what I preach such as offering to buy the person a sandwich. But there’s never a sandwich shop round when you need it. Like Rex in Toy Story “Now I have guilt!”


No comments:

Post a Comment